Skip to main content

Immigrating to Canada is an exciting opportunity to build a better life, but it’s important to understand the process and know who you can bring along with you. While family immigration can be complex, this blog post will explain the basics of which family members qualify for Canadian immigration.

Are You Eligible to Sponsor a Relative Under the Family Sponsorship Program?

To be eligible to sponsor a relative under the Family Sponsorship Program in Canada, certain requirements must be met. First and foremost, the sponsor must be a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act, or a permanent resident of Canada. 

In addition to the citizenship or permanent residency requirement, the sponsor must be at least 18 years old and have enough income to support any relative they wish to sponsor. This income requirement ensures that the sponsor is financially capable of providing for their sponsored family members. 

When a sponsor agrees to sponsor a family member, they sign an undertaking which is a legally binding agreement. By signing this undertaking, the sponsor promises to provide financial support for the basic needs of the individuals they are sponsoring, as well as any dependent children they may have. This includes providing for their food, clothing, shelter, and any other necessary support.

It is important to note that there are some circumstances in which a sponsor may be ineligible to sponsor a family member. For example, if the sponsor is currently in prison or receiving social assistance for reasons other than disability, they may be deemed ineligible to sponsor. 

Overall, the Family Sponsorship Program provides a way for eligible individuals to bring their family members to Canada. By meeting the necessary requirements, sponsors can reunite with their loved ones and provide them with the opportunity for a better life in Canada.

Which Family Members Can I Sponsor to Immigrate with Me?

As a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you can sponsor certain family members to come and live with you in Canada under the family sponsorship program. The program is designed to keep families together, and it is available to eligible individuals who want to bring their family members to Canada as permanent residents.

Under the family sponsorship program, you can sponsor three types of family members to immigrate with you. The first type is your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner. To be eligible for sponsorship, you and your partner must have a genuine and ongoing relationship, and you must be able to prove it to Canadian immigration authorities.

The second type of family member you can sponsor is your dependent children. They must be unmarried and under the age of 22. If they are over the age of 22, they may still be eligible if they are dependent on you because of a physical or mental condition.

The third type of family member you can sponsor is your parents or grandparents. They must meet certain criteria, including financial, medical, and other requirements. Additionally, if they come to Canada on a temporary permit, they may be able to bring certain members of their family with them for the time they are in Canada.

It’s important to note that other relatives, such as siblings, nieces, nephews, and cousins, are not eligible under the family sponsorship program. However, they may be able to come to Canada through other immigration programs, such as the express entry system.

If you’re interested in sponsoring a family member to immigrate with you to Canada, it’s essential to speak with an experienced immigration lawyer. They can help you navigate the application process, ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements, and provide guidance on how to gather the necessary documentation and evidence to support your application.

Super Visa for Parents and Grandparents

The Family Sponsorship Program for parents and grandparents is more limited compared to sponsorship for spouses and dependent children. However, there is a way for Canadian citizens or permanent residents to bring their parents or grandparents to Canada on a temporary basis. This is through the Super Visa for Parents and Grandparents. 

This type of visa allows parents and grandparents to stay in Canada for up to two years at a time, making it easier for them to visit their family members who live in Canada. Moreover, it is a multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period of up to 10 years. 

The Super Visa application process involves several requirements, such as a written statement from the host inviting the parent or grandparent, proof of private medical insurance coverage, and a minimum income requirement for the host. 

It’s important to note that the Super Visa does not lead to permanent resident status for parents or grandparents. Nonetheless, it is a great way for families to reunite and spend time together. If you have questions about the Super Visa or other immigration programs, do not hesitate to contact a Citizenship Lawyer.

What about Other Relatives?

In addition to immediate family members, it is also possible to sponsor other relatives for Canadian immigration. This means that if you have a brother, sister, niece, nephew, cousin, aunt or uncle who wishes to immigrate to Canada, you may be able to sponsor them.

However, it is important to note that there are different requirements to be eligible to sponsor these types of relatives. For example, you must demonstrate that you have the financial means to support them and that you can provide for their basic needs. You may also be required to show that you have a close relationship with the relative you wish to sponsor.

It is advisable to consult with an immigration lawyer to fully understand the eligibility requirements and the process of sponsoring other relatives. They can provide you with the guidance and assistance you need to navigate through the complex immigration system.

If you have a non-immediate family member who wishes to immigrate to Canada, don’t assume it is impossible. Consult with a knowledgeable immigration lawyer to explore your options and determine the best course of action for bringing your loved ones to Canada.

If you still have questions about which family members can immigrate with you to Canada, it’s always a good idea to consult with an experienced lawyer. At Citizenship Lawyer, we can provide personalized advice based on your unique circumstances and guide you through the immigration process. We can also assist you in understanding the requirements for sponsoring family members, such as your spouse, children, parents, and grandparents.

Additionally, if you are interested in bringing your parents or grandparents to Canada, our lawyers can explain the Super Visa program, which allows them to stay in the country for up to two years at a time

When it comes to other relatives, the eligibility criteria can be more complex. It’s essential to consult with a lawyer to understand your options. Contact Citizenship Lawyer today and get expert guidance from our professionals.